- Battery Design Studio(R) Training Courses - Learn how to design lithium-ion batteries using Battery Design Studio(R) software. Visit SIEMENS for information
- EIS Course on April 24-27 in Houston
- Lithium-Ion Battery Tutorial on May 16, 2017 at Battery Power in Dallas
Automotive Battery Conference 2017
June 19 – June 22, 2017, San Francisco
· Free Newsletter: Shmuel De-Leon Batteries, Fuel Cells & EV Industry Weekly Newsletter, email firstname.lastname@example.org for a free subscription.
Publications/Presentations of Battery Design
(right click on "download PDF" in order to retrieve presentations)
· “Rate-Limiting Steps in Porous Electrodes for Li-Ion Cells” LLIBTA, Detroit, MI June 2016.
· “Optimization of Lithium-Ion Cells”, STAR Users Conference Japan, Yokohama, June 2016.
· “Engineering Approaches to Lithium-Ion Battery Design”, ECS San Diego, CA, June 2016
· "Simulation Studies of Multilayer Electrode Coatings", Electrochemical Society, October 13, 2015, Phoenix, AZ
· "Multilayer Electrode Coatings", Large Lithium-Ion Battery Technology and Application, June 2015, Detroit, Michigan
· "Simulation in Cell and Battery Design" Large Lithium Ion Battery Technology and Applications, January 2015, Mainz, Germany
· "Simulation of Composition Effects on Lithium-Ion Cell Performance" 2014 Electrochemistry Workshop, Monterey, CA
· "Simulation of Electrolyte Composition Effects on High Energy Lithium-Ion Cells”, R. Spotnitz, K. Gering, S. Hartridge, and G. Damblanc, ECS Trans. 2014 58(13): 25-36; doi:10.1149/05813.0025ecst
· “Three-dimensional electrochemical Li-ion battery modelling featuring a focused ion-beam/scanning electron microscopy based three-phase reconstruction of a LiCoO2 cathode” T. Hutzenlaub, S. Thiele, N. Paust, R. Spotnitz, R. Zengerle, C. Walchshofer, Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 115 (2014) pp. 131-139.
- "Lithium-Ion Batteries: The Basics", R. Spotnitz, CEP Magazine, October 2013.
- “Design and Simulation of Spirally-Wound, Lithium-Ion Cells Lithium-Ion Batteries: Modeling”, R. Spotnitz, S. Hartridge, G. Damblanc, G. Yeduvaka, D. Schad, V. Gudimetla, J. Votteler, G. Poole, C. Lueth, C. Walchshofer, and E. Oxenham ECS Trans. 2013 50(26): 209-218.
- "Simulation of Abuse Behavior of Lithium-Ion Batteries", Interface, Summer 2012.
- "An Overview of Battery Simulation", STAR Global Conference 2012, March 19-21, 2012, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- "Developing Batteries with Battery Design Studio(R)", AABC11, Pasadena, CA
- "Computer Aided Engineering of Batteries for Automotive Systems," SAE International Vehicle Battery Summit, September 3, 2010, Shanghai
- "Advanced Thermal Modeling of Batteries", IMLB 2010 Montreal Canada
- "Superior High Energy Density and High Rate Lithium-Ion Battery for Army Applications", 44th Power Sources Conference, June 2010, Las Vegas, Nevada
- "Battery Engineering: Progress and Opportunities", Energy Storage Beyond Lithium Ion: Computational Perspectives May 3, 2010, Argonne National Laboratory
- "Modeling of Battery Systems and Installations for Automotive Applications", Lithium Mobile Power 2009, Boston, MA November 12, 2009
- "Macrohomogeneous Modeling of Commercial, Primary, Li/MnO2 Coin Cells", 215th ECS Meeting, San Francisco, CA May 27, 2009
- "The Argument for Battery Engineering", 215th ECS Meeting, San Francisco, CA May 27, 2009
- "Overview of the Life of Li-Ion Batteries", in the Proceedings of the The 3rd Annual Large Lithium Ion Battery Technology and Applications Conference, May 2008, Tampa, Fl. download PDF
- "Theoretical evaluation of high-energy lithium metal phosphate cathode materials in Li-ion batteries", J. Power Sources, 165 (2007) 887-891.
- "Simulation of abuse tolerance of lithium-ion battery packs", J. Power Sources, 163 (2007) 1080-1086.
- "How to design battery packs", 42nd Power Sources Conference, Philadelphia, PA, 15Jun2006. download PDF
- "Mechanisms for Impedance Rise in Lithium-Ion Cells", in the Proceedings of the The 2nd Annual Large Lithium Ion Battery Technology and Applications Conference, May 2006, Baltimore, Md. download PDF
- "Battery Modeling", Interface, Vol. 14, No. 4 Winter 2005.
- Advanced EV and HEV Batteries", 2005 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion (VPP) Conference, September 7-9, 2005, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- "Simulation of the Temperature Dependence of Li-Ion Cell Performance", 2004 Joint International Meeting, 206th Meeting of ECS, 2004 Fall Meeting of ECS, Honolulu, HI Oct 3-8, 2004.
- "How to Charge Lithium-Ion Batteries: An Assessment of Approaches Using Computer Simulation", Proc. of Advances in Battery Charging, Monitoring, and Testing, Denver, Colorado, August 18, 2004.
- "Battery Design Studio", 21st International Battery Seminar and Exhibit, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, March 8-11, 2004.
- “Abuse Behavior of High-Power, Lithium-Ion Cells”, J. Power Sources 113:1:81-100 (2003).
- “Simulation of Capacity Fade in Lithium-Ion Batteries”, J. Power Sources 113:1:72-80 (2003).
- "Abuse Behavior of High-Power, Lithium-Ion Cells", IMLB 11, Monterey, CA June 23-28, 2002.
- "Simulation of Capacity Fade in Lithium Ion Batteries", IMLB 11, Monterey, CA June 23-28, 2002.
- "Scale-Up of Lithium-Ion Cells and Batteries", in Advances in Lithium-Ion Batteries Edited by W. van Schalkwijk and B. Scrosati, Plenum Press (2002).
- "Simulation of Capacity Fading in Lithium Ion Batteries for Life Prediction", in the Proceedings of the The First Annual Advanced Automotive Battery Conference, February 2001, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- "Optimal Design of Lithium Ion Cells", The 198th Meeting of The Electrochemical Society, Phoenix AZ, 22-27Oct2000.
- "AC Impedance Simulation for Li-Ion Cells", The 15th Annual Battery Conference, Long Beach CA, 12Jan2000.
- "NL3BO a Framework for Electrochemical Systems", proceedings volume from the 1999 Electrochemical Society Meeting in Seattle.
- "Literate Programming," Computers and Chemical Engineering , Vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1745-1747, 1998.
- "Literate Programming for Mathematical Modeling of Battery Systems", proceedings volume from the 1998 Electrochemical Society Meeting in San Diego.